Principles and Practice of Antaranga Yoga
This unique live course, conducted by our renowned faculty Raghu Ananthanarayanan and Saraswathi Vasudevan, is meant to impart a traditional understanding of Patañjali’s Yoga Sutra and help integrate it into the learner’s daily life.
The ending of duHkha and experiencing Ananda is the fundamental goal of yoga. However, with an overemphasis on relaxation and health benefits, the popular idea of yoga has become restricted to a small range of practices like Asana, pranayama and mindfulness. There is also the tendency to focus on the ultimate end point of Yoga namely the union between jeevAtma and paramAtma.
The core of the teaching in the Yoga sutra is not focused on either of these extremes. It directs attention to the functioning of one’s psyche. A mind that is not capable sustained attentiveness is neither capable of comprehending the world, nor understanding oneself. The Yoga Sutra takes a step by step approach to enabling a person to have a deep insight into the way our mind functions. It not only describes the process that enables deep dhyAna and samadhi, but also the processes that cloud the mind and prevents it from acting from its full potential, experience joy and rest in profound peace.
Since Patañjali’s Yoga Sutra is built on the darśana of Sankhya, this course will start with unpacking the worldview of Sankhya. Given that the Bhagavad Gita is a synthesis of Sankhya and Yoga, it will prepare the students for a deeper philosophical understanding of the Bhagavad Gita.
- To become familiar with Yoga as a pathway to emotional sublimation, self-surrender and transformation.
- To acquire a broader perspective of Yoga beyond postures.
- Impart the understanding of the core concepts and frameworks of deeper philosophical understanding of the Bhagavad Gita.
- Gain a traditional understanding of Patañjali’s Yoga Sutra as enunciated by the great master Yogacharya Krishnamacharya.
- Develop an understanding of the key practices that enable a mastery of one’s mind and self;
- Understand the nuances of the psycho-spiritual evolutionary path that Yoga entails;
- Learn about the philosophical foundations on which Yoga is built.
- Learn to integrate these teachings in their day to day living
It is open to all who seek to deepen their knowledge and understanding of the Yoga tradition. It is specially designed for the benefit of:
- Yoga Teachers and Students
- Yoga therapists
- All yoga enthusiasts.
- Sadhakas and Spiritual aspirants
- What is the Yoga as enunciated by the sage Patañjali?
- What role does bahiranga yoga (practices like āsana, prāṇāyāma, yama and niyama) play in the scheme of Yoga?
- Understanding the ‘self’ (one’s limited identity and personhood) referred to antaranga yoga and transcending the self as a way to realise the “Self” form the core of the profound insights that Patañjali’s Yoga Sutra has to offer. . This course will introduce the seeker to these realms.
- How does the Yoga sutra look at the processes of the mind? How does it approach the practice of mastery over one’s mind?
- What is the thread of systematic psycho-spiritual evolution that runs through all the eight limbs of Yoga as enunciated in the Yoga Sutra?
- 22 Live, Interactive Zoom Sessions
- 2 additional dedicated Q & A Sessions
- Access to recorded sessions
- Suggested Course Readings
- Certificate upon successful completion