Introduction to Sanatana Dharma
What we commonly refer to as ‘Hinduism’ in the present era, has been traditionally referred to as ‘Sanatana Dharma’ or ‘the eternal Dharma’.
This Indica Course is an introduction to Sanatana Dharma, curated as a beginner’s guide for learners to become aware of the expanse of this faith, culture, knowledge systems and civilization.
22 November 2022 - 7 March 2023
7:00 PM -8:00 PM IST
What has traditionally been referred to as Sanatana Dharma or the eternal Dharma, is commonly referred to as Hinduism. Why then is it called Hinduism? How far can we trace its origin to?
Hinduism ecompasses various aspects – be it the Vedas, Agamas, Tantras, Karma, Bhakti, Jnana, rituals, rites, temples, devotion, meditation, yoga, Vedānta, worship of various deities, festivals and so on. How are all these related and what all does Sanātana Dharma comprise of?
What is it and what is it not?
Know more about these questions in this course on Introduction to Sanatana Dharma.
- Understand the terms related to Sanatana Dharma e.g., Vedas, Dharma etc.
- Understand the various constituents of Sanatana Dharma
- Understand the structure and relationship of these constituents
- What is Sanatana Dharma? Why is it called Hinduism?
- Vedas & its constituents
- Vedāṅgas, Upavedas & their significance
- Smriti literature, Concept of Puruśārtha
- Varṇāśrama dharma
- Darśanas or schools of Indian philosophy & their significance
- Itihasa & Purana
- Temples, Bhakti movement
- Tantra, Mantra and Yantra
- Other miscellaneous topics
The participant is expected to get a bird’s eye view of Sanatana Dharma.
Watch this video for a detailed course overview