Core Texts and Concepts of Sanatana Dharma
This INDICA Course offers a comprehensive introductory overview of the foundational texts and principles of Sanatana Dharma, encompassing a meta-level perspective as conveyed through the guru parampara.
19 January 2024 - 9 February 2024
7:00 PM IST-9:30 PM IST
Every Friday and Saturday (Except on 26th of January 2024)
This course is designed to provide seekers, who are on their journey towards Dharmic knowledge and ultimately, Self-Realization, with a thorough introduction. Initially, it addresses and clarifies common misconceptions about the fundamental principles of Sanatana Dharma.
The sessions will offer a concise overview of the texts, covering their origins, transmission, and meta-information, as well as exploring the diverse interpretations of the Vedas, particularly focusing on the schools of thought within Vedanta. The course culminates by highlighting the essential message of Dharma and how each individual can play a role in preserving and nurturing this enduring wisdom.
The primary goal of this course is to equip learners with a deep understanding and confidence in Sanatana Dharma, both in their personal lives and social interactions. It is designed to assist seekers in embarking on their journey towards Self-Realization, leading to a broader civilizational awakening.
Learners will gain knowledge that not only clarifies their personal ethos but also provides them with a toolkit to effectively present the Dharmic narrative. This narrative, as elucidated by eminent gurus and scholars of Sanatana Dharma, will guide them in understanding how they, as individuals, can actively shape and foster Dharma in their lives.
- Introduction: Contextualizing the Study, Addressing Misconceptions, Preliminary Insights, and the Genesis and Transmission of Texts
- In-depth Exploration of the Vedas, Core Texts, Prakarana Granthas, and Upanishads
- Deciphering Vedic Terminologies and Indian Philosophical Systems (Darshanas)
- Core Principles, Varnashrama, and the Role of Women in Sanatana Dharma
- Understanding Ishvara and the Spectrum of Schools of Thought in Vedanta
- Practical Application and Self-Study Guidelines
Note: Each session includes a brief Q&A. The course concludes with an extensive Q&A session for in-depth discussion.
Presentation materials will feature integrated hyperlinks for reference. A comprehensive self-study (Svadhyaya) guide in PDF format, doubling as an e-book, will be provided at the course’s end.
- Live sessions
- Access to class recordings for asynchronous participation
- Certificate of Completion upon successful course completion