An Introduction to The Thirukkural
This INDICA Course offers an opportunity to know more about Maharishi Tiruvalluvar and gain an understanding of how Hindu civilizational ethos is reflected in his beautiful composition The Tirukkural.
Enroll today for an insight into the historical and civilizational context, philosophical approach and the influence of The Tirukkural.
3 April 2023 - 17 July 2023
7:00 PM -8:00 PM IST
This course serves to introduce the learner, through the verses of The Thirukkural itself (with English and Sanskrit translations), to the philosophy of The Thirukkural and how it was designed as a compendium of the Vedic Dharmashastras.
This course will also provide deeper understanding of how Maharishi Tiruvalluvar has been worshipped and honored for this compilation along with a historical context of the text and its place in Tamil literature.
- Understanding of the historical and cultural context of Maharishi Tiruvalluvar’s work
- Understanding the place of Thirukkural in Tamil literature
- Orientation to the structure of Thirukkural & relationship to Vedic culture
- Orientation to the historical honor and respect accorded to Maharishi Tiruvalluvar
- Recitation of important Thirukkural verses.
- Word by word meaning of the said Thirukkural verses and understanding their Vedic roots
- Grasp of the structure of the Thirukkural text and the topics covered
- Selected Thirukkural verses
- Tiruvalluva Maalai (Garland to Tiruvalluvar)
- Historical background of Maharishi Tiruvalluvar
- Relevance of Thirukkural to Dharmashastras
- Thirukkural – Exposition by Parimelazhagar
- Thirukkural – Compilation of commentaries by K.V. Jagannathan
- Thirukkural – Commentary by Swami Omkarananda
- Live sessions
- Access to class recordings (for asynchronous participation)
- Certificate of Completion
Watch this video for a detailed course overview